Passport Requirements for Travelling in Mexico

Beginning in 2009, Mexican authorities and US Border Patrol agents began requiring passports or enhanced forms of identification to travel either way across the Mexican border. Four years later those regulations have only intensified, and if you have a passport, it is required at the border and can save you a great deal of grief if it is up to date. 


If you are driving to Mexico from the US, make sure bring your passports because the US border agents now demand passports, passcards, or some other form of enhanced Identification when you cross back into the United States.


the following are considered acceptable forms of identification for United States citizens returning across the US-Mexican border:


Passport Book - Click Here for Information on Applying for a Passport Book


Passport Card - Less expensive than a Passport Book and wallet sized  Click Here for Information on On-Line Applications for U.S. Passports and U.S. Passport Cards


Children under the age of 16 - While traveling to and from Mexico by land or by sea , these minors can use their birth certificates, certificates of citizenship or naturalization certificates to re-enter the country. This is not the case for adults.


Children under the age 19 - this age group can also use their birth certificates, certificates of citizenship or certificates of naturalization while traveling with an adult-chaperoned organization such as a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team.


*Children of any age traveling by air to or from Mexico must have a passport book.



Call a SkyBlue Insurance agent during normal business hours to discuss document requirements for travel and secure a great travel health insurance policy with your Mexican auto insurance. We can insure that your family has a great time in Mexico! 1-800-771-7758

Return to the Mexican Insurance Now Homepage